Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by LuvMyDog View Post
That's missing the point, deliberately so it seems. The dog will keep pulling against the flat collar, it won't against the prong.
Hmmm wonder why that is? Is it because it HURTS?

LuvMyDogMyArse

Oh, that's your best then? Name calling?
I'm taking the piss out of your piss-take name

In fact, to prove my point I will start a poll - and ask if someone who abuses their dog by hurting them, can be classed as someone who loves their dog, or not.

I'm actually starting to feel quite ashamed and embarassed for a number of posters, it's like trying to get an opinion from brainwashed fanatics with limited reasoning skills.
The only person that should be ashamed is you and anyone else who thinks it's ok to hurt/beat/mentally and physically abuse their dogs in order to get them to do what you want. It's disgusting.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
So LuvMyDog (I will resist using your name extension although I think it is apt) - when you sell your prong/pinch collars, do you offer to go and train the new owner of the device? You know, to ensure that they know exactly when and how it should be used? Do you assess the dog before the sale to ensure it is appropriate for that dog and that situation?

Do you include, as part of the contract, that the device must only be used in conjunction with an expert?

Do you sell these devices to owners of puppies and small dogs?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:29 PM
That's missing the point, deliberately so it seems. The dog will keep pulling against the flat collar, it won't against the prong. So, in both the short term and the long term the prong collar will cause less damage.

Why does everyone keep saying "put one on yourself and let someone tug at it......." I've done that, SOOOOOOO many times, if that's the best come back you've got don't bother.

LuvMyDogMyArse

Oh, that's your best then? Name calling? Because you don't agree with me or can't maintain a debate that doesn't undermine your (quite flimsy) standpoint you insinuate I don't love dogs and smugly wait for the cliq to jump in and agree? I'm actually starting to feel quite ashamed and embarassed for a number of posters, it's like trying to get an opinion from brainwashed fanatics with limited reasoning skills.

regards,

Austin
..yes you and Adam do come across that way!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Like Halti, Canny and Dogmatic you mean? Hands up who's doing their dirty work by selflessly promoting their products? No-one's yet stated catagorically these are suitable for 100% of dogs or don't cause stress or injury.
What's the matter Austin , are you feeling a little peeved that almost no one here wishes to help you promote your devices? .

I suggest you try elsewhere where the members are less discerning ...
LuvMyDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-02-2011, 06:36 PM
To date I've found a couple of scenarios where the use of a shock collar has been acceptable to the majority. Even R+ trainers have yet to come up with a more convincing or practical solution. Suprisingly they're situations some R+ trainers grudgingly accept.

So, what would you consider to be a scenario where the use of a shock collar would be acceptable and R+ might be lacking in effectiveness?
Ah, ok, don't want to discuss it out in the open and would rather try and bury it here. Fine.

There was an episode of everyone's favorite, Cesar Millan, where the owner was desperately trying to keep her dog away from rattlesnakes. His solution was to use a shock collar and when the dog showed interest in a snake he applied a shock. The dog quickly associated the negative stimulus with the snake and wouldn't approach them. Nifty eh?

So, on further investigation is appears this method is very popular, in fact momentously more popular than anything an R+ trainer has come up with. It's evolved into it's own little industry in areas of the USA where poisonous snakes are prevelant. It's not failproof, it doesn't work 100%, and some dogs have very high prey drives, higher it seems than the collar can train out. However, consensus seems to be in agreement it has a very high success rate.

The only options offered by R+ trainers are:
Teach a good recall
Offer high value rewards for the dog staying away.

I don't see this having a very high success rate because if the owner isn't actually with the dog there's no-one to recall, and there's no-one to offer a high value bribe. Snakes don't mind slithering into gardens when the dog may not have a handler available, so the shock training would still have some significance in terms of results, i.e. the dog leaving the snake alone. The other alternative would be to always keep the dog indoors and never let out without the owner. Now I see that being particularly cruel in a country with that much space and with such good weather. It seems there is an instance where R+ can't compete on the same level as a shock collar.

And on that bombshell......let the slagging off commence.

regards,

Austin
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Know have been ignored in all of this thread(for most part n sorry if talk bull***t) but doesn't matter. Is pointless trying to repeat but would anyone like any form of pain inflicting upon them without being given a choice? (most here are in agreement is wrong). Think about it!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
LOL, shame he used a dog that had survived for many years with the snakes around wasn't it?

It's funny that it is men that like to use these foul things ----wonder why?

rune
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Anyway:

So LuvMyDog (I will resist using your name extension although I think it is apt) - when you sell your prong/pinch collars, do you offer to go and train the new owner of the device? You know, to ensure that they know exactly when and how it should be used? Do you assess the dog before the sale to ensure it is appropriate for that dog and that situation?

Do you include, as part of the contract, that the device must only be used in conjunction with an expert?

Do you sell these devices to owners of puppies and small dogs?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Ah, ok, don't want to discuss it out in the open and would rather try and bury it here. Fine.

There was an episode of everyone's favorite, Cesar Millan, where the owner was desperately trying to keep her dog away from rattlesnakes. His solution was to use a shock collar and when the dog showed interest in a snake he applied a shock. The dog quickly associated the negative stimulus with the snake and wouldn't approach them. Nifty eh?

So, on further investigation is appears this method is very popular, in fact momentously more popular than anything an R+ trainer has come up with. It's evolved into it's own little industry in areas of the USA where poisonous snakes are prevelant. It's not failproof, it doesn't work 100%, and some dogs have very high prey drives, higher it seems than the collar can train out. However, consensus seems to be in agreement it has a very high success rate.

The only options offered by R+ trainers are:
Teach a good recall
Offer high value rewards for the dog staying away.

I don't see this having a very high success rate because if the owner isn't actually with the dog there's no-one to recall, and there's no-one to offer a high value bribe. Snakes don't mind slithering into gardens when the dog may not have a handler available, so the shock training would still have some significance in terms of results, i.e. the dog leaving the snake alone. The other alternative would be to always keep the dog indoors and never let out without the owner. Now I see that being particularly cruel in a country with that much space and with such good weather. It seems there is an instance where R+ can't compete on the same level as a shock collar.

And on that bombshell......let the slagging off commence.

regards,

Austin
its called an 'emotive' marketing trick
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 06:42 PM

..heard that one many times before Austin, are you aware there are no Rattlesnakes in the UK ?

So, on further investigation is appears this method is very popular, in fact momentously more popular than anything an R+ trainer has come up with. It's evolved into it's own little industry in areas of the USA where poisonous snakes are prevelant. It's not failproof, it doesn't work 100%, and some dogs have very high prey drives, higher it seems than the collar can train out.
Austin
Exactly ..
Closed Thread
Page 193 of 206 « First < 93 143 183 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 203 > Last »