Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, BD, the onus is on YOU to provide the evidence, or otherwise. It is not me who is casting doubt, but YOU
Rubbish, you cant prove a thing! If CM walks his dogs regularly anywhere it would be a miracle! He's too busy filming and doing other stuff!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
These are all "prey" animals Jackbox. A snake is not a "prey" animal, it is something to be feared and therefore exterminated by the dog.Also, if I get it wrong, Tai is not going to get killed by a rabbit or a cat. A deer, maybe, if it was a big one, but very unlikely. However, with a venomous snake like a rattle snake, the most likely victor of this "kill" would be my dog, not the snake !

Ipso facto, if all other training methods failed, I would consider getting an expert in to do some aversion therapy with an e-collar.
My point being , you say you can train a highly driven prey animal , (your dog) to obey and ignore anything you want him too...so why could you not use the same tactics with snakes.

ofcause things can go wrong, but they can go wrong with an e,collar on too.

If you can successfully stop him chasing something on the move, surely you can successfully stop him investigating something that is still
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, who uses electric fencing for horses? And, if you do, how can you justify using it?
i do....

I would rather strip graze than kill off my horses with lami!

The noise of the fence is enough to keep them away from it..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher
No, BD, the onus is on YOU to provide the evidence, or otherwise. It is not me who is casting doubt, but YOU
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Rubbish, you cant prove a thing! If CM walks his dogs regularly anywhere it would be a miracle! He's too busy filming and doing other stuff!
But you are equally making a statement that he does take his dogs for a walk in the country side.... without any evidence

So instead of putting the onus on Dawn to prove something she cant, YOU can prove you are right.

After all , you are the one who insists , he does exersice his dogs in snake infested country side...hence the need for the e.collar
C4L
New Member!
Male 

07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Can there ever be any justification for the use of e-collars?
No, never.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by C4L View Post
No, never.
Short, and totaly to the point

I think the thing that people are missing is there is ALWAYS and alternative
If something can be trained with cruelty then it can also be trained with kindness

People had dogs in snake areas before we harnessed electricity - and I am sure not all of them were happy to just let their good dogs die from snake bites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
i do....

I would rather strip graze than kill off my horses with lami!

The noise of the fence is enough to keep them away from it..
Totally agree, having had to put one down with laminitis when his pedal bone was coming through the sole of his hoof
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But you are equally making a statement that he does take his dogs for a walk in the country side.... without any evidence

So instead of putting the onus on Dawn to prove something she cant, YOU can prove you are right.

After all , you are the one who insists , he does exersice his dogs in snake infested country side...hence the need for the e.collar
Yeah but only the 14yr old well behaved Pit Bull needed the collar!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
My point being , you say you can train a highly driven prey animal , (your dog) to obey and ignore anything you want him too...so why could you not use the same tactics with snakes.

ofcause things can go wrong, but they can go wrong with an e,collar on too.

If you can successfully stop him chasing something on the move, surely you can successfully stop him investigating something that is still
I can, but he's not perfect. As I have said many times, once he has made the "break" he goes deaf, in common with most dogs. For instance, I wouldn't dream of walking him off lead through a field of sheep. I THINK I could stop him chasing them, I am PRETTY sure I could stop him, but the consequences are too awful to risk. I THINK I could walk him along the pavement beside a main road off lead, but again I wouldn't risk it, just in case.

However, none of these are deliberately going to attack him and kill him ... a maddened rattlesnake definitely will want to do just that. Therefore, I need something a bit extra, I need Tai to think that if he goes anywhere near a snake, even if he just looks at one, a bolt out of nowhere is going to descend on him in the form of a sudden sharp pain in his neck. As with Daddy and the rattlesnake, I think this aversion therapy would work on Tai to make sure he avoided snakes.

Or it might not, but I wouldn't know, would I, until I tried. However, hopefully this is all hypothetical and I shall never have to put my money where my mouth is !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2009, 08:24 PM

What !! Why should i? She wants to know, not me ! I find that rather extraordinary !! She raised the issue in the first place, saying that CM never exercises his dogs
Page 28 of 45 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »